Since the local courier service wasn’t able to deliver the box of mushroom which I won during our annual company dinner, I asked around for simple Chinese recipes which I can cook with my dried mushrooms. With the cool weather outside, a soup dish is something to look forward to warm our bodies. Here’s to chronicling my two attempts of fixing a simple Chicken and Mushroom Soup from scratch.
Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- 200g chicken breast, cubed in 1.5cm
- several thin slices of ginger
- several slices of green onion (white stalk portion only)
- dried shiitake mushroom, sliced in quarters
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
1. Boil water in a soup pan.
2. Add ginger and green onion. Let it boil for 2 mins.
3. Add chicken breast cubes. Let it boil for 3 mins.
4. Add 1 tsp light soy sauce and shiitake mushrooms. Let it boil for 10 mins.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let it boil for 10 mins.
That’s it! Simple right? The first time I did this dish, the mushroom flavor was strong and made the soup yummy. The second time I did this, the mushroom flavor was lighter and the ginger flavor didn’t come out that much. I guess the freshly opened mushroom bag and fresh ginger helped. You can also put rice noodles for some carbs.