Growing up in a middle class family, I sometimes yearn to be able to travel, buy stuff I want and be comfortable. I would usually compare myself to my cousins who were better off than we are and find myself lacking. Then, I would dream of graduating from university, finding a job and earning my own money.
However, there’s one lesson my dad would always tell us. “Be your own boss and don’t be an employee”. With that in mind, I planned to find a job and a side hustle to generate more money. It’s not what the lesson was but it was a step towards financial independence.
Over the years, I’ve read a lot of articles about side hustles. Some are old school while some goes with the times. To make it successful, one must be passionate, dedicated and diligent.
Here’s a list of ideas of side hustle that you can start with:
- Buy low, sell high: this is one of the old school side hustles. Some will buy items in bulk and sell it in pieces for a higher per unit price. They will peddle it in the street or in the modern age, online (ebay/Amazon).
- Sell a service: you can babysit, tutor kids, create a website, dog walking, photography, massage, mow the lawn or paint. It can be a hustle or a business.
- Ride or Delivery Option: nowadays, if you have a car, you can opt to join uber, lyft, doordash or postmates and be a ride sharing driver or delivery service driver. You own your time and will earn depending on how much time you allot to it.
- Sell a product: open a lemonade stand in the summer or sell your homemade goods or sell your ebook. People will always need something.
- Rent a product: If you’re car is gathering dust, you can probably rent it with Turo. You can also rent a spare room in your house through Airbnb or just a local posting in your neighborhood market. Some will even rent a lawn mower or chairs for wedding events.
- Be an Influencer, Vlogger, Blogger: This side hustle takes time and niche. It’s not an easy and fast but if you become one of the best, the rewards are high.
As for myself, I have had my fair share of side hustles. Some are good while some are bust. I will be talking more about it in my future posts.