Make ahead meals are becoming a norm now especially for people who like to eat something healthy and save some money. I’ve had a hand making overnight oats but I didn’t like the taste. I’ve been chopping some red, yellow and orange bell peppers for snacks. I’m trying to expand my repertoire of food that I can make ahead and edible.
In my search for recipes online to try, I have adapted a recipe from Healthy Idea for Kids on their breakfast egg cups. I used my favorite veggies and bake away!
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 mini sweet bell pepper, red
- 4 shiitake mushroom
- 1 ounce, your favorite cheese
- Grease a muffin tin and set aside. Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a bowl. Seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Dice the bell pepper and mushroom into small cubes. If you wish to add leafy vegetables like spinach, stack the spinach leaves, roll them up, and slice them thin. (This method is called chiffonade.)
- Add the vegetable and shredded cheese to the egg mixture.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes until centers are set and no longer runny.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.