For the past two weeks, I’ve been making Fried Rice. I’m always scared of cooking as most of the time the food I cook doesn’t look and taste like what I’ve imagined. While scrolling through Facebook videos, there was a video by emmymade on how to cook fried rice. So, I muster up my nerve and followed the steps. I didn’t have spring onions so I omitted it from the ingredient list.
The verdict: my husband loves it and I liked it too. There are a lot of variations to fried rice. For proteins, you could use fish, chicken, pork, beef. You can make it vegetarian. You can use just egg white. You can add those tuna in cans. You can add salted fish. Whatever you want your fried rice to be, you can do it. Common ingredients in fried rice are eggs, rice, and vegetables. I tried the frozen vegetables with broccoli, baby carrot, peas and potato, it didn’t jive with the rice.
Easy Fried Rice
- 1 salmon fillet
- Spam, cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen steamed vegetables (corn, peas, carrot, string bean)
- 3 eggs + a pinch of salt, beaten
- 2 to 3 cups cooked rice
- white pepper
- 1 tsp granulated chicken buillon
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a baking sheet with aluminum foil, season salmon fillet with salt, pepper and olive oil. Bake for 20 mins.
- In a wok over medium heat, add a teaspoon of cooking oil.
- Saute the spam until slightly brown. Add the cup of frozen vegetables. Cook for 2 mins. Transfer to a medium sized bowl.
- In the same wok, add a teaspoon of cooking oil. Pour the eggs and cook until scrambled. Transfer to the same bowl as the spam and frozen vegetables. Turn off the heat.
- Check the salmon if it’s cooked. Remove from the oven. Ensure that the fillet has no bones. Using two dinner fork in both hands, flake the salmon into smaller pieces and transfer onto the same bowl as the eggs, spam and vegetables.
- In the same wok over medium heat, add a tsp of cooking oil. Add the rice and pressed on the pan to evenly cook the rice.
- Add salt, pepper and granulated chicken buillon. Mix well.
- Cook for an additional minute then add the other cooked ingredients. Mix well.
- Cook for 1 minute and add the sesame oil. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm.